Qualified advisers answering your
Financial Questions
call 0800 092 1245

UK motorists urged to extend car insurance when abroad

Motorists in the UK are being advised to ensure that they extend their car insurance premiums when travelling abroad.Many drivers decide not to increase their car insurance when travelling abroad, in the belief that their UK policies will adequately cover them in the event of any accident.However, Keith Maxwell, motor account manager for insurance firm More Than, has warned that this is not the case and in the European Union only third party insurance cover is provided as standard on UK car insurance policies.Mr Maxwell explained: "Our advice to customers is that, before you travel abroad, you should phone up your insurer and check. If someone's got a comprehensive UK motor insurance policy, if they don't take out what's called a foreign use extension, then their cover abroad will be limited to the equivalent of our road traffic accident cover."He added that motorists should phone their car insurance provider to add this extension and he explained that the cost of this extension will mainly depend on the length of time the driver intends to be using their vehicle in a foreign country.Recent statistics from Sainsbury's Travel Insurance found that as many as 12 million people are planning to book a holiday before the end of February to get away from the winter blues, while the Association of British Insurers (ABI) estimates that as many as two million people travel abroad with their cars every year.

Share this..

Related stories

Financial Guides

Financial Calculators

Our useful calculators can help you get your finances in order:

Latest News


Helpful new tax year facts that could affect you and your money

Blog | Seven helpful new 2016/2017 tax year facts that could affect you and your money. Our recent online blog shares a brief outline on how to stay up to date.

Read more

Useful Links

Popular Searches

Please Enter More Details

Enter More Details