Tree subsidence danger highlighted
Homeowners are being warned about the potential subsidence dangers caused by planting trees too close to their homes.According to Halifax Home Insurance, planting trees too close to homes accounts for the majority of subsidence claims dealt with by insurers.In extreme cases, subsidence can cause major structural damage to homes, however paying special attention to the trees and vegetation around a property can go a long way towards reducing the risk of a subsidence problem."When people plant trees they plant them as young saplings in the garden and obviously they are going to prove no problem whatsoever till after a good number of years," Neil Curling, spokesperson for Halifax Home Insurance said."Regardless of whether the present incumbents stay in the house long enough they have set in motion a chain of events which can lead to subsidence."People do plant trees too close to houses and they bring about the majority of subsidence insurance claims that we face," he added.Most people are insured for subsidence in their home insurance policy, even if they planted the offending tree themselves.
Osborne could merge income tax and national insurance
30/06/2014 Chancellor George Osborne could announce plans to merge income tax and national insurance (NI) into a single payment if they are re-elected in the next general election. The plan was first suggested by the Office of Tax simplification in March 2011, however, consultation on tax reform has so far been pushed back due to the complexity of integrating the two separate systems. The...Read More
EU set to target Royal Bank of Scotland
The EU Commission has today outlined a number of conditions with regards to the £20 billion in state funding which was received by Royal Bank of Scotland at the bottom of the economic cycle. As well as cutting back on the company's significant investment division, the EU commission has also confirmed that it will require at least part of the insurance operation to be sold, putting the future of C...Read More
Is Alistair Darling set to reverse his recent tax hike?
In what would appear to be the early signs of another U-turn by the UK government, Alistair Darling has opened the door to a potential reversal of the higher rate tax increase which comes into effect next April. The increase in the top rate of tax in the UK from 40% to 50% was accompanied by a serious and prolonged attack on the more well-off areas of the UK population. However, in a surprise U-tu...Read More
VAT cut today in bid for sales boost
The sales tax VAT has been brought down temporarily from today, in order to boost retail sales.Alistair Darling, chancellor of the exchequer, announced the move last week, as part of his economic stimulus package.Public works projects will be expanded and future tax rises to the corporation levy and vehicle excise duty have been scrapped.VAT has now gone from 17.5 per cent to 15 per cent until Jan...Read More
Insurer detects over-50s' pension 'confusion'
Many people aged over 50 are "confused" over the status of their pensions savings, research from Liverpool Victoria has shown.The insurer said that around seven million of the group felt unclear about their retirement plans - while 56 per cent confirmed that they had "never" sought out any advice on the subject.Of the remaining 44 per cent, however, almost half had sought out professional help fro...Read More